.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Timely Manor

Welcome to my virtual salon. Please, come in and do stay awhile.

The Contessa's dream:

...And someday, I shall have a grand mansion where we all can meet, and I will call it "Timely Manor."

Timely: occurring at a suitable or opportune time; well-timed

Manor: the main house on an estate; a mansion

Monday, February 18, 2008

Panopticon

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
panopticon - n. 1. a building, as a prison, hospital, library, or the like, so arranged that all parts of the interior are visible from a single point.
[Origin: 1760–70; pan- + Gk optikón sight, seeing (neut. of optikós; see optic)]

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
\Pa*nop"ti*con\, n. [NL. See Pan-, and Optic.] 1. A prison so constructed that the inspector can see each of the prisoners at all times, without being seen.
2. A room for the exhibition of novelties

WordNet
1. an area where everything is visible
2. a circular prison with cells distributed around a central surveillance station; proposed by Jeremy Bentham in 1791


I came across this blog when I did a Google search for "Madame LaFarge" after hearing a reference to the name on the radio. (I haven't read Tale of Two Cities since high school. The reference was familiar, but I needed a little memory refresher.) Anyway, where was I?... Oh yes, The Panopticon. The blog author is Franklin. He knits. I love men who knit. Or, perhaps it would be more accurate for me to say that I love that there are men who knit. I don't knit, but I do crochet, and I love yarn. There's something rather sensual about it. I love the look of it... the colors, the textures... I even like the smell of yarn. And, coincidentally, my friend, Anna, and I had been discussing yarn earlier that day, which had led to another yarn conversation (and online shopping research) with Sylvia. So, with the topic of yarn fresh in my mind, I Googled "Madame LaFarge" and ended up following a link that led me to Franklin's blog.

The blog post I first came across begins,
"I know perfectly well what most gay men go to Amsterdam to do.
However, the most exciting thing I got from a handsome Dutchman in a dark bar was the address of a good yarn store."


How could I resist an intro like that? Not only does Franklin knit, he posts lovely photos of the fruits of his labor. If you are intrigued, as I was, click here and enjoy!

Disclaimer: I had terrible insomnia last night, which resulted in my getting just two hours of sleep. (More on the fruits of my insomnia later.) Therefore, I apologize that this post is not quite "up to snuff," so to speak. Even in my semi-comatose state I can recognize that--I just don't have the brain power to correct it. However, you do deserve better, dear readers. So, I pray you will be gentle with me today. I'll try to get a good night's sleep tonight and do better next time. Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers!

The Contessa

2 Comments:

At 3/07/2008 9:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Um, gotta LOVE that knitter boy. check out my most recent blog, i think you'll appreciate it.

 
At 3/19/2008 12:28 PM, Blogger The Contessa said...

My dear Dani,
We have so much in common, it's almost frightening!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home