.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Timely Manor

Welcome to my virtual salon. Please, come in and do stay awhile.

The Contessa's dream:

...And someday, I shall have a grand mansion where we all can meet, and I will call it "Timely Manor."

Timely: occurring at a suitable or opportune time; well-timed

Manor: the main house on an estate; a mansion

Thursday, September 08, 2005

It's good to be taken care of

I spent last weekend as I have spent the past 9 Labor Day weekends--working at a large arts festival. Yes, I miss out on the fun holiday weekend BBQs and such, but there is a certain comraderie that develops within the festival staff and crew that I have come to look forward to and enjoy. My job at the festival keeps me tied to a desk all weekend. I have few opportunities to get away for food or anything else, and I'm needed there from 7am until as late as midnight. (You'd be surprised how much goes into putting on an event like that if you've never worked one yourself.) Anyway, since I'm there all day, all weekend, people take pity on me and bring me things to eat and drink. They take care of me. Countless times throughout the day, I am asked, "Do you need anything?" "Can I get you anything?" How nice is that? How often do you have people that eager to take care of you? I don't know about you, but that's pretty rare for me. At the end of the night someone always insists on chauffering me (in a golf car) to my car, and on the 1 or 2 nights that I get off work before 10pm, I get a home-cooked meal prepared for me. In addition to all that, I had 6 EMTs respond when one of the other Production staff members put out a call because I had--get this--a bug bite. Yes, I think they may have been a bit bored that day, but 6 EMTs to treat one bug bite?! And I got 2 follow-up visits!! Really! After 10 years at the festival almost everyone treats me like I'm their kid sister (except for some of the young men on the crew, but that's another story). If it weren't for the extra-long work days, it might actually feel like a holiday weekend. All this to say, it's good to be taken care of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home