.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Timely Manor

Welcome to my virtual salon. Please, come in and do stay awhile.

The Contessa's dream:

...And someday, I shall have a grand mansion where we all can meet, and I will call it "Timely Manor."

Timely: occurring at a suitable or opportune time; well-timed

Manor: the main house on an estate; a mansion

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Random tidbits

1 hard boiled egg
1 slice of slightly moldy yogurt cheese
1 orange
2 dates

That's all I was able to scrounge out of the fridge for dinner tonight.
Ah, the life of a single woman... No need to put dinner on the table for anyone but me. It's a small freedom that I try not to take for granted.
So, yes, it's time to go grocery shopping; however, I leave for ILLINois on Thursday, so grocery shopping will have to wait. "What?!" you say, "ILLINois?!" Yes. I'm heading off to Peoria, of all places, for a family reunion. I haven't seen some of my relatives since before my dad died 13 years ago. This ought to be interesting... Look out, here comes the wacky West Coast branch of the family! I figure it really doesn't matter where you have a family reunion, since it's pretty much all about sitting around swapping old stories, sharing a few new ones, and eating and drinking a lot. Oh boy, that reminds me of a story... Here we go...

I rarely drink alcohol anymore, but when I was younger I certainly didn't shy away from it. I remember the last family reunion my immediate family attended together (before my parents' divorce). I have 2 brothers and 6 male cousins, all of whom are bigger, if not older than me, and I, for some crazy reason, had decided to keep up with them, drink for drink. We were drinking whiskey with beer chasers. We started at the home of my Aunt & Uncle, who still live in the small Midwest mining town where my dad and his siblings grew up. We then moved "downtown," where there's a bar on every corner, and drank our way through, bar by bar. I wouldn't re-live the following morning for ANYthing. I couldn't move, but the bed felt like it was moving plenty, if you know what I mean. My father had kept up with us pretty well the night before and was in almost as much pain the morning after as I was. Ah, family reunions... I can hardly wait!

Did you know that today was Bob Dylan's birthday? Dave Morey at KFOG keeps me informed of such things. I think he said it was his 64th today. He played an all-Dylan "10 @10" set. I quite enjoyed it. "Tangled Up in Blue" is definitely one of my all-time faves... Such fond memories of my college days... We listened to a lot of Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Grateful Dead, Elvis Costello, Harry Belafonte, Harry Nilsson... I love how music can just take you right back to a certain time and place. How it can evoke emotions... lift you up when you're feeling down... bring you to tears when you're feeling melancholy. There's just nothing that moves me like music does. It is my favorite drug, my best friend, and my greatest expense. I'm fairly certain I spent more money on music than clothes last year. That would be true for this year too, if I hadn't just gone on a bit of a shopping spree last week, for my upcoming trip. C'est la vie!

Well, that's all I've got for now. My trusty laptop won't be going with me to Peoria, so you probably won't be hearing from me until I return.

Miss me...

4 Comments:

At 5/25/2005 10:14 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

I am waiting for something to process, thought I'd stop by the salon and say hi

 
At 5/26/2005 11:20 AM, Blogger Carmen said...

Miss you, indeed. Words cannot describe the sadness that greeted the little auto-mail you sent out, re: your trip. The thought of coming to the 'puter and not finding a intelligent and nurturing e-mail waiting for me in my inbox is almost too much to bear. Maybe I will call you.

 
At 6/02/2005 11:06 PM, Blogger The Contessa said...

Thank you, my dear Camille. I missed you too. It's good to be back in FLip FLop. Thanks for the salad tonight. My body was definitely in need of something green and fresh. I think I exceeded my yearly meat intake at the reunion last weekend. (Wow, am I really already referring to it as "last weekend"?! Hard to believe I've been back for 3 days already!) Must sleep now. I'll try to post something new (perhaps some musings about the reunion) this weekend.

 
At 6/08/2005 11:05 AM, Blogger Carmen said...

darlink,
when are you going to share your lovely thoughts with us? I missed you last night (while I was waiting by the phone I cleaned my desk for the first time in months, so it was not unproducitve)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home