.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Timely Manor

Welcome to my virtual salon. Please, come in and do stay awhile.

The Contessa's dream:

...And someday, I shall have a grand mansion where we all can meet, and I will call it "Timely Manor."

Timely: occurring at a suitable or opportune time; well-timed

Manor: the main house on an estate; a mansion

Thursday, July 07, 2005

This latest drama

I so desire distraction right now, but I can't afford it. This latest drama is a terrible nightmare from which I can’t seem to escape. It’s there when I go to sleep, it’s there when I awake, and it stays with me all day. I throw myself ever deeper into work. “At least I’m being productive. At least I’m earning money.” But it isn’t where I most need to be putting my time & energy. No, what I need to be focused on right now, is sifting through the mountains of “stuff” I’ve accumulated over the past 15 years of living in this house. And now, after 15 years of being an excellent tenant, I am being evicted. Expelled from my home. My HOME. I’ve lived more years under this roof than any other, including my childhood home. In many ways, I’ve done as much “growing up” here as I did there. I’ve fallen in love here, had my heart broken more times than I care to count, and formed numerous close bonds of friendship, most notably with my longtime housemate, J. She has been more like a sister to me than anyone else. She saw me through the loss of my father and I saw her through the loss of her mother. We’ve laughed together and cried together. And we’ve spent countless hours watching TV together. (There’s still no one I’d rather watch television with—only with J is it an interactive experience. : ] ) She was my companion and confidante for nearly 14 1/2 years and life has not been the same since she moved out. No, it’s been one little household drama after another since she left. And now this. What ever am I going to do? People offer words of comfort and “helpful” suggestions, but when it comes down to it, it’s me and my stuff. I have to sort through it, pare it down, part with as much of it as I can bear to, and then move the rest. Sure, I’ll have help with the actual moving (and I do appreciate that, believe me), but that’s not the hard part. The really hard part, the part that I dread, is me, alone with my stuff, going through it, piece by piece, deciding what I can justify keeping and what I have to part with. No one seems to understand how excruciatingly difficult that is for me. Or how emotionally exhausting this all is. Speaking of exhaustion, I'd best close now and get some sleep. Maybe you should too. ; ]

p.s. The new housemates ARE very young, but they're also very nice, sweet kids. Too bad I won't have much time to get to know them. Landlady wants me out by the end of the month.

4 Comments:

At 7/10/2005 11:19 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

peace be to you and your stuff

 
At 7/17/2005 11:09 PM, Blogger Molly said...

Contessa! It will be a cleansing, and when this endeavor is seen, maybe you will feel renewed, maybe you can reinvent your self/your space and come out with a slightly new design to where you set your mug/your heart/your head. I feel for you sister, though I have moved about 16 times, it always pains me to let go, but I always grow with the new nook, it's always a new invitation. and i know you're mostly concerned about THE stuff, but think of what a crazy, moving opera you've got going in the records of your life--the scribbles in drawers, the random notes-to-self, and the lifetime of work. I encourage you to make a glorious weekend(s) saying hello again to the secrets in your stacks, picking out the essential and the best, and tossing the useless. I enourage you to get a special recyling basket and let it fly baby! and if you need help I'm a great tosser.

 
At 7/22/2005 3:12 PM, Blogger The Contessa said...

Oh Molly-love, thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement (and your offer to help).  You make me smile. :)  Your spin is like a breath of fresh air.  It is good to be understood.  Thank you my sister-friend.

BTW, I found a place! I move in next weekend. Hallelujah!

 
At 8/08/2005 12:15 AM, Blogger The Contessa said...

I have a new home. My own place. A 2 BR apt. Thanks to all of you who offered prayers, encouragement, leads, and helping hands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home